General Discussion

mikefitz
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm

For topics not listed in the Forum Index that relate to the Fitzpatrick Clan Society and all things Fitzpatrick.
Tim Fitzpatrick

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi All,
My name is Tim Fitzpatrick. I am a member of both Fitzpatrick societies. I have a keen interest in all things Fitzpatrick, but I have a focused interest in DNA testing. I have started some DNA projects at FTDNA and I have joined many others. I think one needs to see how other projects operate and the advances they bring to using DNA. Please consider joining the Kilkenny Surname Geographic project.

I have tested with BigY and my terminal SNP is R-A1487. Up stream I have tested positive for the SNP FGC5494. I believe this SNP will turn out to be significant for Fitzpatrick and other surnames who trace back to Kilkenny Laois Tipperary. There is a project with Mike Walsh as admin at FTDNA called the FGC5494 and Subclade project. It is well worth joining if you are FGC5494 or suspect you are.

I would like thank you Mike for bringing a new website together where I think a good and open conversation can exist with a coherent method where members can contribute and follow.

I am a moderator on this forum for a Discussion of FGC5494.

Tim
Tim Fitzpatrick

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi All
Tim here with four issues to add to the agenda for the gathering. I am not an administrator / co-administrator of the Fitzpatrick DNA project. These are long standing unresolved issues which I raise with a view to the long term benefit of the Fitzpatrick DNA project.
1. Quote of email Colleen Fitzpatrick to Mike Fitzpatrick 15th July 2014
2. Quote of email Colleen Fitzpatrick to Janine Cloud Group Project Liaison for FTDNA 14th July 2014
3. FGC5494 SNP: Likely common single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) for Laois Fitzpatricks.
4. YACII: This short tandem repeat (STR) marker is likely a characteristic for Laois Fitzpatricks
To the first issue:
1. Quote of email Colleen Fitzpatrick to Mike Fitzpatrick 15th July 2014
“Hi Mike,
I am coming under fire from FTDNA for not having a website set up. If you read this exchange, you will see that Gail Riddell (who lives near Auckland btw) was on my case for not having our results displayed so she could see which of the Fitzpatricks matched her Kirkpatricks. Apparently there is a rule that says you have to have your results posted somewhere, at least accessible to your group members, even if password protected.
So it's good you are working on getting us a site up. I'd like to use it instead of all the FTDNA setup.
In the meantime, I need to keep Group L confidential because Seamus is just finishing his thesis in the next few months and he doesn't want to compromise his research results.
I will get back to you about the SNP testing. Will talk to Seamus tomorrow and look over the list of SNP candidates you sent me.
Colleen.”
I draw your attention to “In the meantime, I need to keep Group L confidential because Seamus is just finishing his thesis in the next few months and he doesn't want to compromise his research results.”
I was not aware of what Seamus was doing. It has been, from July 2014 to the present nearly four years. Since I have looked seriously at the yDNA of the people who joined the Kilkenny Surname Geographic I have identified two potential areas of research FGC5494/YACII. I have only become serious here after the many questions I have asked in these last few months. I submit that the Fitzpatrick Surname project is using privacy issues to cloak the DNA of Group L in secrecy.
To the second issue:
Quote of email Colleen Fitzpatrick to Janine Cloud Group Project Liaison for FTDNA 14th July 2014

“Hi Janine,
……. and I cleared up the problem last night.
She is going to help me set up the website in the next few days. I didn't understand that I didn't understand the system, and no one until now offered any information or help in setting it up.
……. gave me the PW to the World Families site when we transferred in to FTDNA from DNAH but otherwise has not offered any assistance. As I told ……., I have been trying to get a website set up for our group, but only recently found a member with the skills and the time to do it. All the data
from our project is available to our members upon request to me and I am in touch with everyone. We have a very active project. We are all aware of the PhD student and the Clan has approved his use of our data. It may take me a couple of days to set up the site. I have a domestic partner with a fractured hip.
Colleen”
I draw your attention to “We are all aware of the PhD student and the Clan has approved his use of our data.”
I am a member of the Fitzpatrick Society/Clan. I paid/donated $30 when I joined and Ronan acknowledged the payment. I was not aware of the PhD student nor was I aware the Clan had approved his use of my/our data. How long has this PhD student been doing a thesis PhD? How long will the DNA study be kept private and secret? There has been very little information available as to what is being studied, very little published except some cladograms at less than 37 STR markers. Once again valuable time has past without advancing the Fitzpatrick Surname DNA project.

To the third issue: FGC5494 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP). With next generation sequencing (NGS) the y chromosome is having a greater amount of its bases tested. This is throwing up a host of new information that allows connections to be made. There are surnames coming to light that are showing as being connected with Fitzpatrick. These include Brennan, Dalton, Costigan, Brannan, Fitzgerald to name a few. The FGC5494 marker is I believe a common signature. Downstream from FGC5494 there are branches where novel SNPs are showing that will shed light on how these names connect to a common thread. It is way beyond time that the Fitzpatrick DNA project embraced NGS. How long will the thesis delay encouraging members to do NGS?
To the fourth issue : YACII STR marker. This marker is showing for the people in the Kilkenny Surname project as being 22-23. It is I think going to be a very useful STR marker to help identify the Laois group. How long will it be before the DNA project makes use of this STR marker?
Regards
Tim Fitzpatrick B.Pharm
Project admin: Kilkenny Surname Geographic project ( please join )
Landsborough Chemist
Maleny St
Landsborough Q 4550
0414 496 444
07 54941744 w
07 54767701 h
Matt63

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:28 pm

This may be of interest to those with Co Down connections .

St Patrick's dig finds 'medieval burial site'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45059893